Tuesday, September 11, 2018

At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon

It's easy to feel at home in Mitford. In these high, green hills, the air is pure, the village is charming, and the people are generally lovable. Yet, Father Tim, the bachelor rector, wants something more. Enter a dog the size of a sofa who moves in and won't go away. Add an attractive neighbor who begins wearing a path through the hedge. Now, stir in a lovable but unloved boy, a mystifying jewel theft, and a secret that's sixty years old. Suddenly, Father Tim gets more than he bargained for. And readers get a rich comedy about ordinary people and their ordinary lives.

My Take:  I'm currently reading this (however my cover is the old version).  I've had this book for years, but never thought I would enjoy it.  It was given to me as a gift from my mother and she had high praise for the book but the blurb didn't engage me  and I didn't think it was a good fit.  I read several of the reviews and was shocked at how mixed and mixed-up they all seemed to be (especially on Goodreads).  Although I don't ever read anything categorized as Christian, the reviews led me to it.  Ironically, it was the negative reviews on Goodreads from those that did not like the book that made this seem most attractive to me.  I say that not out of spite, but because those people were looking for drama and harshness that just isn't in this book.  I am always seeking "Pleasantville" so it sounded like an ideal fit for me.

Bottomline ~ I am loving it.  I may have to read them all.  The characters are charming and Ms. Karon brings them each to life.  Despite those seeking more excitement, I'm content with the enchantment of Mitford and highly recommend the series to anyone who appreciates a simple life.

No comments: