Sunday, February 18, 2018

The Morning After


It is the morning after the night before
And I know it could not be again.
Was it good for you? It was good for me.
Do you think we could ever be friends?
I know that’s a question that shouldn’t be asked;
It makes people feel ill at ease.
But I thought at the time you could offer an answer;
Some soft consolation to please.
Now I see I was asking too much of a man
Unprepared to answer my eyes.
But I know soon he’ll learn to counter those questions,
To stroke and to smile as he lies.
Well, it’s the morning after the night before,
And I’m eating my breakfast alone.
I’m thinking of other mornings like this
And of other men that I’ve known.
I’m sure there will be more mornings like this
Though I really don’t need any more.
The memories of the mornings I try to forget,
While just remember the nights before. 

Sheri Richey (ssrichey)
Sheri Richey

No comments: