Friday, July 11, 2014

Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegone by Garrison Keillor

In the little town of Lake Wobegon, a wedding is planned down to the last detail, from the cheese and pâté to the flying Elvis to the pontoon boat. Meanwhile, a good Lutheran lady prepares to die, her daughter meets a lover at the Romeo Motel, and a delegation of renegade Lutheran pastors from Denmark comes to town. It is Lake Wobegon as you've imagined it—good, loving people who drive each other slightly crazy.

My Take:  I know of Garrison Keillor but am not a PBS follower so I didn't know any details about the Lake Wobegon books.  I do enjoy a good series drama though and the pitch sounded interesting.  However, the book was not.  I made it almost half way through and quit.  I couldn't even tell you what happened in the part that I read because it didn't hold my interest at all.  I wouldn't recommend it myself and I'll never try any Garrison Keillor again.  Personally, I find his voice irritating on the radio, but I know he is widely acclaimed and admired by many.  It's just not for me.

No comments: